Thursday, September 15, 2011

How do you remove a shift knob on a 04 Saturn Ion Coupe?

I'm trying to change the shift knob on my 2004 Saturn Ion Sport Coupe. It's a 5 speed manual. I've tried twisting it, pulling it, kicking it (lol), but no luck. I've looked on the back side of it and there doesn't seem to be a screw holding it in either. Do I have to relpace the entire shifter? Saturn is a cheap car so it doesn't surprise me that they didn't put it on like a normal car. Any help before I torch it off?
How do you remove a shift knob on a 04 Saturn Ion Coupe?
If I remember correctly there should be a slot on the dashboard side of the shifter knob that holds the retainer. Take a thin screwdriver and stick it in the slot and pry up gently and it should come out. It looks like a staple. Once it's out, the knob should just lift off. Hope this helps and good luck!
How do you remove a shift knob on a 04 Saturn Ion Coupe?
This is incorrect, there is a ring at the bottom of the knob that you twist counter clockwise while pulling down, that separates the boot from the knob. Then you just pull the knob off, it's friction-fit.

Report Abuse


Pretty sure it should twist off. Might be reverse thread. If you aren't worried about the stock shifter knob, a pipe wrench will take most anything off, but that knob won't look pretty when you are done. More than likely there is a thread locking agent on it, so some force will be required.

No comments:

Post a Comment